One of the things I love doing on weekends is experimenting with new and exciting dishes to serve to family and friends. Sadly there are only two days in the weekend to fit in cooking experiments, exercise and relax spending time with family and friends… which leaves very little time to actually cook! This past Sunday was a perfect example of this where I got home from the days errands at around midday, ravenous to try something new, and decided this little recipe would do the trick to create as a side dish for the roast pork belly we did on the Weber for lunch. The sweetness of the chargrilled beans mixed well with the caramelized honey and complimented the pork to a “T”.
Preparation Tip: I didn’t actually know you could caramelize honey until I tried this recipe out and it’s surprisingly easy! It hardly took any time at all for the honey to start changing colour and smelling like caramel (hmmm-yummy), but a word of warning: if it turns sticky quickly it will also burn quickly so watch that pan while its cooking.
- 1 Packet (500g) Green Beans
- A Generous glug of Olive or Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Lemon
- 60ml Honey
- 100g Raw Almonds
- For the Beans: heat a griddle plan to smoking point.
- Toss the green beans with the generous glug of oil.
- Grill in Batches until tender.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- For the Almonds: Heat the honey in a pan.
- Simmer until it starts to look a little darker and smells like caramel.
- Quickly tip almonds and toss to coat in honey.
- Tip onto a sheet of greased baking paper and cool.
- Roughly chop and serve, or store in an airtight container.
- This recipe would be suitable for those following a Paleo or Primal eating plan.
- To add a little extra flavour to the almonds sprinkle in a little cinnamon while caramelizing the honey.